Photos of Guam (Duva), Early 1950's

Page Updated 10/24/07
Photos courtesy of Bobbie Jo in El Paso.
A friend of George Dean '63-66' TE-5; and 70-72...
and Dean Havens Dependent of SKC E.D. Havens 1953 NAS Agana Supply & CPO club manager.
Unless noted otherwise
[ Main Index ] [ Home ] [ Duva Page 1 ]
 
[ Duva Page 2 ] [ Duva Beaches ] [ Duva Beaches #2 ] [ Duva 1965 - 71 ] [ Tarzan Falls ] [ Duva WW II ]
 
Click on picture to see larger version, Use Back Button to return
black-sands-of-talofofo-1954_r1.jpg camp-asan-1954_r1.jpg road-to-merizo-1954_r1.jpg road-to-nimitz-hill_r1.jpg
Picture on the left is of Talofofo bay, the village and bay is located in the southern part of Guam on the east coast. The village center is located in the hills above the coast, Japanese holdout from World War II Shoichi Yokoi was captured by Jesus Duenas and Manuel DeGracia near Talofofo on January 24, 1972

2nd picture from the left. The USMC Barracks viewed from the Asan Overlook high above the original USMC landing in 1944. Asan is a village located on the western shore of Guam, just a few miles south of Agana.

The 3rd picture from the left is on the road to Merizo, also known as Malesso, is the southernmost village of Guam.

The 4th picture from the left is looking back in a north easterly direction on the road up to Nimitz Hill, Mt. Barragada is visible on the horizen. Nimitz Hill is the home of the United States Navy Commander Naval Forces Marianas located in the central portion of Guam. It overlooks Talofofo Bay on its western edge and is very close to Asan the original USMC landing in 1944.

Photos courtesy of Bobbie Jo in El Paso, friend of George Dean
 
downtown-agana_r1.jpg town-house-agana_r1.jpg navy_parade_50_r1.jpg marine-drive-agana_r1.jpg
Picture on the left is looking south and west down Marine Drive in downtown Agana (since renamed to Hagatna). The photographer was standing across Marine Drive from the Town House

The 2nd. picture from the left shows the Town House, which was opened by Ken Jones, founder of J & G Enterprises in 1945 and remained open until 2001. Probably the largest privately held retail business on Guam during the 50's and 60's.

The 3rd. picture from the left. US Navy parade marches down Marine Drive in Agana. Most probably taken during Liberation day festivities, which are held every July 21st.
navy_parade_50_r1.jpg
Submitted by Dean Havens

The 4th. picture from the left. Looking down Marine drive in Agana. The future Agana boat basin is visable just beyond the spit of land protruding out into the water.

Photos courtesy of Bobbie Jo in El Paso, friend of George Dean
 
Image7_r1.jpg. Image8_r1.jpgr Tumon Beach Service club_tn.jpg  
These photos of the Tumon Beach Service club were provided by Dean Havens. He does not remember the source of these pictures.
 
tumon-beach-1954_r1.jpg 2 lovers leap_r1.jpg Tumon Beach 1950's_r1.jpg Tumon Beach1 1950's_r1.jpg
Views of Tumon beach from the early 1950's. Now Tumon bay and beach area are filled with hotels, the natural seaweed has been dug out by the developers destroying the habitat for the tropical fish.

The picture on the left is looking south along the cliff line of 2 lovers leap

The 2nd picture from the left is a view of Two Lovers Leap, looking almost due north from a location on NAS Agana (formerly Brewers field).

The 3rd picture from the left is looking south west toward the peninsula that divided Tumon bay from Agana Bay.

The 4th picture from the right looking north east from about the same position as picture #3.

Photos courtesy of Dean Havens.
 
sears-roebuck-guam-1954_r1.jpg shells-of-micronesia_r1.jpg shells-of-micronesia-tumuning_r1.jpg  
Some retail shops of Guam during the early 1950's.

Photos courtesy of Bobbie Jo in El Paso, friend of George Dean
 
Image10_r1.jpg Image13_r1.jpg
Low level aerial Photos of Naval Air Station Agana Guam, probably taken as the aircraft was landing.

Photos courtesy of Dean Havens
 
pan american terminal_r1.jpg mats_vr-8_tn.jpg
Air terminal building and Mats headquarters on NAS Agana. These buildings were located on Central Avenue at the south end of the runway and were destroyed by Typhoon Karen in 1962. These buildings were next to the Navy Exchange.

A new modern air terminal was built in 1965 or 1966 on Central Avenue at the north end of the runway, about a stones throw from the Acey Duecy Club. The Navy Exchange was moved across the runway to an empty concrete barracks building.

Photos courtesy of Dean Havens
 
[ Main Index ] [ Home ] [ Duva Page 1 ]
 
[ Duva Page 2 ] [ Duva Beaches ] [ Duva Beaches #2 ] [ Duva 1965 - 71 ] [ Tarzan Falls ] [ Duva WW II ]
 
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional